Saturday, 23 February 2008

Testing testing...

After His baptism, Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness and fasted. He was tested, tempted, tormented by the Devil; every weakness was tested, and He was found blameless. He fought temptation by standing on the Word of God, knowing exactly which scripture was needed to rebuke Satan's schemes, and the Devil left, defeated. (see Luke 4v1-13 )

So I guess it is no wonder that I am enduring a similar treatment... Since my baptism, it would be fair to say that I have been pretty amazed by Satan's craftiness! He seems to be aware of weaknesses in me that even I didn't know were there. I am being thoroughly tested - and, my, is there a battle raging over me: my mind, my emotions, my relationships, my marriage, my family, my 'domain'!! I've never experienced anything quite like this...

And so I am learning from my Master. To withdraw every day, to study His Word and to stand on it, to fight with my armour on (see Ephesians 6v10-18) and to 'not give the devil a foothold'. This last bit is one of the most difficult parts for me; so much wisdom is needed here, to know when and how I might be giving the devil a foothold. But God is graciously, patiently leading me into all truth, and I know this time of testing is foundational in many way. I will emerge stronger, as I have in the past, and God's power will be released through me in a greater way because of this. Meanwhile I cling to my Rock, and stand on His truths and promises for me...

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it". (1 Corinthians 10v13)

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze". (Isaiah 43v2)

Amen!!

2 comments:

  1. SO well said! And it is SO true that Satan attacks after times of refreshment and growth. He has to, he must try to stunt us, to discourage our elation at living closer to Christ. The worst trials of my life have brought great growth, but that has also been followed by even more trials. It's exhausting, but I rely heavily on Jer 29:11, I Cor 10:13, and Ps 27:14 especially. "Be strong and take heart, and wait on the Lord." But truthfully, I'm not very good at the waiting sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be praying for you Rach xx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here, but any offensive feedback will be deleted immediately... That said, most of you who visit here are dear lovely friends and so you are most welcome!